An easy way to upgrade your iPhone and keep Google maps

Londoners - particularly those of you with iPhones and who've already downloaded 24hourlondon - I feel your pain. It is also my pain.

Not because the app was affected, it wasn't, but because of the kerfuffle with Google maps.

Londoners need Google maps more than nearly anyone else. It's like a space age version of the A to Z and London is a big, complicated place that's hard to get around quickly.


It has a lot of public transport options, including many you wouldn't necessarily think of because they're new or you're in an unfamiliar part of town. For getting from A to B Google maps gives you the quickest routes on public transport, including buses and overground railways.

So Google maps is a perfect example of something I didn't know I needed until I had a smartphone but which has enhanced the quality of my life immeasurably, saving oodles of time.

So living without Google maps in London was not something I was looking forward to.

None of the other options looked very enticing. There's a link on that page to an article telling you how to get Google maps back again and all of the options involve downgrading to the previous operating system.

However, I'm here to tell you that you don't have to (hat tip to my good friend Alix Walker, font of practical advice and a fantastic cook to boot).

After you've upgraded to the new operating system, go to Google maps - which will have vanished as an app from your screen - in Safari. Once you start using it you will be offered the opportunity to download Google maps as an app.

Click yes and it will reappear on your screen as an app as if it had never been away.

Ta da!

Don't say I never give you anything.

* If you'd like to receive updates from the 24hourlondon blog you could *like* its Facebook page, or follow me onTwitter @24hourlondon

Comments

  1. But does it link to Google maps from your contacts address book? Not that big a deal but I'm not upgrading just yet...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

24hourlondon meets social media influencer tikichris

24hourlondoners: last night's events at London Bridge and Borough Market involved us all

It's competition time at 24hourlondon